Jonathan and I met on October 27, 2006. We both attended our ward campout, and part way through the night I noticed a cute guy hanging around me and my roommates (not in a creepy way or anything, he just didn't formally introduce himself). We started chatting during a lively game of Catch Phrase and found each other mutually delightful. We somehow started a competition to see who could slide the furthest down a snow-covered hill, which evolved into a game of sliding down the hill with our arms around each other's waists to see if it would make us go further (aka to have an excuse to semi-embrace just 2 hours after meeting.) To make a long story short, we flirted all night but I ended up going home around 2:00 a.m. because I had a bad cold (which Jonathan doesn't believe--I was so charming, how could I have been sick?)
That Sunday, I was even more dazzled by Jonathan when I saw him in a suit, and he was likewise dazzled by me (I put a lot of effort into my hair that day). We flirted between classes (something about a snowboarding ghost...) but it was all sort of inconsequential. But that night at ward prayer came the turning point--Jonathan ignored me, and I wasn't going to stand for it. So, with some urging by my roommates (thank you Allison, I hold you personally responsible for my happy marriage) we fabricated a party and I went to Jonathan's apartment to invite him to come.
Me: Hey, like, what are you and your roommates up to tonight? (internal monologue: who cares what your roommates are doing?)
Jonathan: (leaning "nonchalantly" on his TV in his pajamas at 9:00 p.m) I mean I don't know what my roommates are doing but, like, what's going on or whatever?
Me: I mean, you know, we're having some people over to watch the office tonight, and like, thought you might want to come (internal monologue: I've never watched the office in my life)
Jonathan: (Suddenly aware that he is in his pajamas) Oh yeah, you know, that sounds fun. What time or whatever?
Me: I don't know, like maybe 20 or 30 minutes or something. (Internal monologue: Oh geez, he said yes. I need to get home and invite some people over!!)
Jonathan: Ok, awesome. See you in like 20 minutes, or whatever. (He arrived like 21 minutes later).
So my roommates and I all got on our phones and called EVERYONE we could think of so it wasn't just us when Jonathan arrived. We ended up with this strange, mismatched group of friends that didn't know each other--but at least it somewhat resembled a party. Well, when he arrived, I sat down in a one person chair and he sat on the couch. My roommates realized that that arrangement simply wasn't going to do, so they initiated what can only be called "the roommate shuffle." Everyone got up, someone needed my "help" in the kitchen, and by the time we all sat back down again, there was only one seat left--the one next to Jonathan (I wasn't sad about it).
The next night was our ward Halloween party that I happened to be hosting as an FHE mom. The flirting continued throughout the night, and even though he voted
against my Halloween costume to win the contest (it was awesome by the way), I let him help me carry my stuff back upstairs. We talked for hours that night about everything and nothing, and finally decided that we should go to devotional the next morning to see President Hinckley. Obviously Jonathan had to get my number, for logistical reasons (wink), and I was more than happy to oblige. We enjoyed devotional together and a walk back to our apartments, but he sill hadn't asked me on a date. Well, he redeemed himself later by asking me out for that night (although it was via text message). I had an enormous exam in one of my classes, so I had mentioned that I couldn't stay out too long. Well, so much for that plan. We went to dinner (where I ordered a salad which apparently indicated my disinterest in him), but also ended up going to a movie. We held hands that night and shared a brief, but awkward doorstep hug at the conclusion of our date.
By this time, I had him mesmerized. He obviously needed to see me again the next night, even if it meant watching me study after completing approximately 7 minutes of his own homework. We walked home, had some hot chocolate, and went back to his apartment to talk some more (ok, I was a little mesmerized too). This was the night, yes our 2nd date, of our first kiss. I think we both knew by this point, whether we admitted it or not, that we were done for.
We spent the rest of the fall spending as much time as possible together. We like to say that we have seen each other every day since we met, except when we are in different states. Right before Christmas break, we said our first "I love you."
Well, the rest is pretty much history. But to conclude, here is a mini photo-journey through the early days of our time together.
4 comments:
Quinn I love that you have started your blog all over again. It was fun to read the story of Jonathan & Quinn. I can't wait to read the next installment.
Best pictures ever. How come I have never seen those? We need to scrap them. I will blalk you, I am a friend and family. I am the luckiest! See you soon.
What a great story! The girl always needs to tell how things happened--you can never trust the boy:) We love you guys!
quinn and jonathan!Welcome back to the blogging world! I'm so happy about my shout out...
Post a Comment