Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Thought and a Reassurance

First a reassurance. I'm sure all 4 readers of our blog were starting to worry that we had gone blog haywire again and you wouldn't hear from us for another several months. Nay, not so. I actually have several posts in the works and several more brewing in my head...I just haven't been able to get anything in a publishable form. Also, Jonathan sometimes threatens to post on the blog but thus far has not taken the initiative. 

I guess I realized that I needed to post when I started to get frustrated that none of the few blogs that I regularly check had been updated (except Brian and Sara...you guys are great about blogging). Caren don't try to feed me that line about your internet again--update your blog! Anyway, rest assured blog fans. We are still alive, well, and blogging. 

And now a thought. We have a joke in my family about thoughts. Our family friends, the Marsdens, dread when Craig (father) says he wants to share a thought. Due to the length of his thoughts, his children would much prefer a lesson to a thought. Anyway, this is not a Craig thought, it's just a regular thought. 

Here goes...

This whole prop 8 thing has been on my mind a lot. It's frustrating to see the reaction and the disrespect that has followed in the wake of its passing. My thought is I'm so grateful that we live in a country where the voice of the people matters. The voice of the people (and not just the Mormon people...California is not 52% Mormon) has spoken and we are saying that traditional families are important--not just for educational, religious, and political reasons, but for the basic perpetuation of society. I appreciate that we have a lot of different people with very different views and lifestyles, but I don't think the noisy minority should continue to torment the silent majority. 

Anyway, I'm so grateful for the family I was raised in, for the family my husband was raised in, and for my husband. We surely are blessed to live in this country. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Quinn,

Thanks for the post and the props-- they go to Sara though, she is the one that makes it happen.

I was just reading about some of the response to LDS support of Prop 8. It is a tremendous irony that those who want us to be tolerant are unwilling to show what they mean by the term.

Keep posting!! And I am sure you'll let us know when JP has some med school news.

andrea said...

As on of your 4 readers I was patiently awaiting your next post. You said so eloquently what I have been thinking.

I am grateful for you and your example.

Tyler and Jessica Kozlowski said...

Hello Quinny!!! Look at you updating and stuff, I gave up on even checking your blog for the longest time but now that I have I've actually missed stuff!! I miss you and glad to hear you and the hubby are doing good. Talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

Alright allready! You got it there are 4 new posts for ya! I updated and the started reading yours...I laughed. We need to have a planning meeting for our Thanksgiving PARTY! It will be as good as the Ohio Party for sure! (Except they get Annie) Bummer!

Ashleigh said...

Quinn,
I'm so glad I've found your blog - I love blogging it's such a great journal/keep-in-touch-tool :)
About prop 8...it was frustrating for me also, to see the way that members were tormented (did you see the missionary video on youtube - INFURIATING) and was truly a sign of the times. We are soooo blessed for temples and the peace that they bring, the gospel and the guidance it brings :) Love you!
Ash